feuhighschool82
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

feuhighschool82

A blast from the past...friendships that last: An interactive forum among the proud members of the FEU High School Class of 1982.

PortalHomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes

Go down 
AuthorMessage
reggie
Elite Contibutor
Elite Contibutor
reggie

Male Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2007-07-26

8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes Empty
PostSubject: 8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes   8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 12:46 pm

Former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell once said that "perpetual optimism is a force multiplier." It's one of 13 rules of success outlined in his book, My American Journey.

Throughout his career, individuals were drawn to Powell because of his enthusiasm and positive approach to life. By saying that optimism is a force multiplier, he simply meant that positive, confident and hopeful expectations will rub off on others.

We all know that a positive mental attitude can set you up for success. But do you exhibit a positive, contagious enthusiasm to the outside world, as well?

Here are some tips to help you send out a positive vibe.

1- Greet coworkers
Say hello. This may seem obvious to anyone who greets colleagues with a friendly "Good morning," but I assure you it's not as common as you think. It only takes a second to do, but you will leave an impression on your colleagues as someone who is engaging, friendly and warm.

Over the course of my career, I have worked full-time or consulted for many companies in several large cities. Many people walk around with their heads down and a scowl on their face. I once consulted several days a week for a PR firm where the Chief Financial Officer walked in every morning and made a beeline for his office, not even pausing to acknowledge the coworkers he had to pass on his way! Needless to say, he was one of the most disliked people in the office. He may have been good with numbers, but he was a disaster with people.

2- Smile
This, too, may seem obvious, but so few people do it in a business setting. When you're in the office speaking to employees or making a presentation, go ahead and let a smile loose from time to time. It's not that painful. A warm smile makes everyone feel better about themselves and the speaker.

As a communications coach, I see executives who put on their "game face" and barely crack a smile while speaking to colleagues, employees or staff. Yet some of the most likable leaders are those who are confident about themselves, have fun with life and aren't afraid to put a broad smile on their face when appropriate.
Back to top Go down
reggie
Elite Contibutor
Elite Contibutor
reggie

PostSubject: Re: 8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes   8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 12:47 pm

3- Lavish praise
Praise people daily. In particular, acknowledge someone who exceeded expectations. More importantly, do it publicly!

Richard Branson, an entrepreneur renowned for his infectious enthusiasm, told Inc. magazine, "Lavish praise on people and people will flourish; criticize people and they'll shrivel." People leave jobs for higher pay. Actually, that's the No. 1 reason people leave. But they also leave for reasons harder to quantify, like not receiving enough recognition. A billionaire entrepreneur, Intuit's Scott Cook, once told me, "People want more than a paycheck." It's very true. Your subordinates want to know that their work is adding up to a great cause, and that they have value in their leader's eyes and in the eyes of the organization.

4- Be nice to everyone
Every day, make it a point to do something nice, and unexpected, for someone in the office, perhaps someone who typically gets little recognition. For instance, send a thank-you note to the assistant who arranged bagels and coffee for the morning meeting.

If you don't think everyone is watching, I've got news for you. Superiors, peers and subordinates are keeping an eye on you and evaluating how you treat others. In his television show, The Rebel Billionaire, Branson put on makeup and a wig to make himself look like a man who drove around the contestants. He wanted to see how the contestants -- one of whom would end up working for him -- would treat people who were not their peers. He made immediate decisions about their characters based on what he observed.

5- Keep your cool
When the proverbial "stuff" starts to hit the fan, keep your composure. Don't fly off the handle and curse. Use positive, optimistic language and maintain strong body language. In other words, don't pace back and forth and wring your hands. Stand strong and sound strong!

I once had the opportunity to meet a true military hero, a man who served as one of the characters in the war movie, Black Hawk Down. Commander Matt Eversmann said leaders must exhibit an air of confidence; a leader must be someone who stands strong, "like an oak," in spite the circumstances around him. Eversmann said that, even if you don't have an immediate solution to a particular event, you have to keep your composure, leaving others with the impression that you are always in control. The air of confidence has to come out. When you exhibit grace under pressure, it makes a positive impact on others. In the days and weeks following the 9/11 attacks, New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani was hailed as a man who kept his composure. He left a positive impression on people, including Oprah Winfrey, who wrote, "In the days and weeks following the attack, his composure, his grace under pressure, and his efforts to offer hope and help to the thousands in mourning earned him the name 'America's mayor'."

6- Personalize your e-mails
When you send e-mail, nobody can read your body language or facial expressions. It's easy to appear impersonal, blunt or arrogant. Take an extra moment to personalize your correspondence.

Here's an example. Instead of writing, "I need that report by 2 p.m.," try this instead: "It's important that this report gets done today. I would appreciate your help in reaching our 2 p.m. deadline. Does this work for you?" Yes, it's a bit more wordy, and it's important to keep e-mail short -- but not at the expense of building a strong relationship with your staff.
Back to top Go down
reggie
Elite Contibutor
Elite Contibutor
reggie

PostSubject: Re: 8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes   8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2007 12:47 pm

7- Address problems early
Take the time to resolve issues, especially potentially litigious ones. If you're in a supervisory role, you have a greater obligation to address issues immediately. If someone confides in you that another employee is making unwanted sexual advances, don't ignore the claim. Ask questions, investigate, have a conversation with the person in question, and document everything! Above all, create a reputation as someone who doesn't let problem fester.

Admired leaders address potentially combustible issues immediately. They don't let issues fester among employees and get out of hand. I remember a company where the majority of employees had lost faith in their supervisor. They resorted to gossip, backstabbing and infighting. The boss, who consistently avoided confrontation, had completely lost control of his employees, and it resulted in lost productivity and eventually in the loss of his job.

8- Organize get-togethers
Employees want to know that you care more about them and their personal lives. Simply organizing a cocktail get-together after work or organizing an outing to a baseball game will go a long way toward building goodwill among peers, staff or subordinates.

Try this: Turn the next positive announcement into a small event. Send an e-mail inviting employees to join their colleagues in the conference room for a catered lunch and "big news." Events don't have to be major blowouts. Smaller and more frequent get-togethers create a unified sense of purpose and enthusiasm.

positive all the way to the top

Climbing the career ladder requires the help of others. Successful professionals conduct themselves in a way that generates enthusiasm and admiration among their colleagues and employees. It's not enough to think positive -- live it as well.

Carmine Gallo is a business presentation coach and author of 10 Simple Secrets of the World's Greatest Business Communicators.

Resources:
O, The Oprah Magazine, January 2002
Inc. Magazine, April 2005
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes   8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8 Tips To Inspire Positive Attitudes
Page 1 of 1